17 September 2015
Cult beauty brand Bio-Oil have teamed up with body confidence charity, Body Gossip to inspire a life time of body confidence through a road show of performances in schools. Bio-Oil are calling out for your body philosophy to help boost self esteem and body confidence. Your body philosophy may be something you wish you had known when you were younger or some wisdom your mother passed onto you. A few quotes I love are 'real girls are not perfect, perfect girls are not real.' 'Embrace your imperfections, it's what makes you unique!' And also, 'Take care of your body as it is the only place you can live.'
To help inspire others and be in a chance of winning a years supply of Bio-Oil simply share your body philosophy below. Body philosophies shared will become valuable content for the campaign and used to inspire a generation of young people to love their bodies.
- Must be a follower of Make Me Up via Bloglovin' or Instagram. Leave your username in the comment.
- Open to UK residents only.
- Giveaway runs from 17/09/2015 - 26/09/2015
- One winner chosen at random will win a years supply of Bio-Oil.
27 August 2015
Fig fanatics listen up. The new Body Shop Italian Summer Fig collection is truly delightful. I want to bathe in the scent all day. The whole range has that 'green', natural scent whilst still keeping a feminine element. The Italian Fig fragrance is more on the earthy side rather than girly. It feels quite grown up and more sophisticated than anything else I own. I adore the elegant packaging and chic black & white design.
Italian Summer Fig EDT 50ml £18.00
If you're after an affordable fig fragrance look no further. This is my favourite product from the range and I can't express my love enough. The top notes compromise of grape leaves and crocus (I'm not too sure either). The heart notes are juicy Italian Fig and warm Tuscan Rose adding a sweet undertone to the fragrance. The beautiful scent ends with notes of Oakwood and Amber turning it into a fresh, light fragrance that lingers on skin. This is my new fig favourite - perfect for the warmer months as it's not overpowering.Italian Summer Fig Shower Gel £6.50
Described as a green, juicy fragrance this shower gel smells beyond delicious. It's exactly what I want on cool summer mornings and balmy evenings. The refreshing scent cleanses my skin beautifully leaving me feeling comforted and invigorated.
Italian Summer Fig Body Butter £13
This creamy formula is like silk for your skin. As with the other products from the range the scent is refreshing and not sickly sweet. It soaks into my limbs quickly and works best layered with the products above.
Are you a fig fan too? Check out the other products from the range here. I think I need to add the fragrance mist to my collection..
*post contains pr samples
24 August 2015
- Begin by detoxing skin with a double cleanse. I like to use a makeup removing cleanser first following by something with skin-loving ingredients. My current combo is the No7 Gel Cleanser and the SK:N Exfoliating Cleanser.
- Follow this up with an indulgent face mask suited to your main skin concern. With a house move and starting a new job, this month has been a bit stressful and my skin has suffered. I'm reaching for the Temple Spa BeCalm* Soothing mask. This beautiful mask has a thick, creamy formula which helps to smooth, firm and calm sensitive skin. It's seriously hydrating and gives skin a dewy glow. Ingredients such as cucumber, liquorice and basil add to its repairing properties.
- Finish you DIY facial with a refreshing spritze of toner. A few firm favourites of mine are Serozinc, Avene and Jurlique.
- Allow your nails to breathe by going polish-free. Apply a nourishing cuticle oil such as the Nail Apothecary Cuticle Elixir*. This cute little bottle contains Vitamin E and Jojoba Oil which helps to moisterize and soothe damaged cuticles.
-Start of the day with a de-fuzz. I prefer pain-free methods such as hair removal cream. I opt for products suitable for sensitive skin like the Veet Natural Inspirations Hair Removal Cream*. This is suitable for legs and body and is specially formulated with Grape Seed Oil which is known for its softening properties. You simply smooth is on, wait 10 minutes and remove with the spatula provide. Such a quick and easy way to remove unwanted hair!
- Give hair a break from heat styling and treat your locks to a hair mask. I'm a huge fan of the L'oreal masks which come in an array of variants. You can leave this on for as long as you want, sometimes I'll keep in on overnight and rinse it out in the morning.
- Long term readers of MMU will know such how much I love a good body scrub. I personally don't think you can beat Soap & Glory. The scent, formula, price - the holy grail of body scrubs.
- It's always best to follow a body scrub with a hydrating body lotion. Lightweight formulas soak in quicker and don't leave skin feeling tacky. Right now I'm using the &OtherStories Body Souffle.
- Fool your family/friends into thinking you've had a weekend away with a little self tanning. Because of the body prepping you did yesterday your tan will look natural and streak free. My favourite fake tan has to be Cocoa Brown, I've expressed my love enough for it on here so won't go on.
- Don't forget to give your mouth a little TLC. At home teeth whitening kits are a great way to brighten your smile without a trip to the dentist. Results aren't going to be dramatic and will fade without continual use. The iWhite2 Instant Teeth Whitening Kit* promises results after just one use.I like how easy the disposable trays are to use. After one 20 minute session I can notice my teeth are slightly whiter, just don't expect drastic results.
- Before heading back to work, enjoy an indulgent shower with a luxurious shower gel. When it comes to indulgent bathing Roger & Gallet never let me down. Their newest Bienfaits Shower Gel* is a concentrated blend of juicy blood orange, mandarin, bergamot and lemon creating the ultimate citrus experience. The thick gel works into a light foam that moisturises and soothes skin whilst stimulates the senses.
- After letting your nails breathe for a couple of days it's time to continue the pampering using a nail buffer. I adore the neon nail accessories from Tweezerman which are never going to get lost in your handbag. The Smooth, Shine & Buff Block is ideal for home manicures. Each side is gentle on nails and provides long lasting results.
- Finish off your bank holiday pamper with a swipe of the Nail Apothecary 24k Gold Ridge Filler Treatment* on each nail. The Omega 3, Keratin Amino Acid and Lingonberry Seed Oil formula has gold flecks suspended in the treatment. This helps to protect nails from splitting and promotes healthy growth.
Let me know if you'll be taking part in a bank holiday pamper!
13 August 2015
Strobing is the next big makeup trend. Heavy contouring has had its day and its time to welcome a new look. As the name suggests, strobing is about accentuating the high points of your face using the power of light. It's basically intense highlighting and I love it. The result is a very fresh, lit-from-within glow. It's like anti-contouring as it involves using lightening and highlighting products. The idea behind the trend is pretty simple, highlight any areas where light natural hits: tops of cheekbones, tip of nose, cupids bow and above brows.
Here is my guide to strobing like a pro using drugstore products.
1. Starting off with skincare apply a facial oil all over. I really like the Botanics Organic Facial Oil as it isn't overly greasy. An oil will help give your skin a nice glow and show you where light hits you best.
2. Strobing is all about layering highlighter to create a intense glow. Start off by patting on a liquid illuminator to the areas you want to emphasize. I recommend using the Seventeen Skin Wow Primer (not pictured as I've misplaced it!).
3. Once that is blended in tap a cream highlighter to those same areas. I use the Essence Cream highlighter as it blends in seamlessly and is really affordable.
4. You could stop here but I like to finish of the look with a light dusting of a brightening powder. This helps to keep the glow in place all day. I took the lighter shade from the COLLECTION Contour Kit for this.
Although Strobing is a lot simpler than a lot of the other makeup trends out there it does take practice. This look is all about layering and it's easy to go overboard. It's easy to go from looking glowy to looking sweaty. If you have oily skin I recommend using powders and avoid anything overly glittery.
10 August 2015
You're home and the holiday blues have well and truly settled in. The only reminders of your holiday are that scar on your left shin (tried wild swimming pic.2) and the 473856 photos on your camera roll. To extend that holiday feeling I've pulled out the beauty products which claim to prolong that summer glow, restore your frazzled hair and soothe those sunburnt shoulders.
First things first, my hair needs some TLC. An after sun shampoo is a good start, Aveda and Wella do great ones. Follow this with a deep conditioning hair mask to restore hair. I'm currently liking the L'oreal conditioning balms. They come in huge tubs, smell divine and are extremely affordable.
Despite franticly applying SPF throughout the holiday I usually get caught out. Often it's when I'm on the beach and take a little nap (3. why did no one wake me?!). I love the soothing sensation of an after sun and have found a new favourite from The Body Shop. It's a little more exciting than your standard aloe vera gel; TBS Body Sorbet in Mojito is a cooling, lightweight gel which absorbs instantly. The lime and mint scent transports me back to relaxing by the pool, slowly sipping Mojito's (pic.4).
To help prolong your holiday glow make sure to moisturise your skin and apply a gradual tan to stop the colour from fading. It's also important to stay hydrated and to not take really hot showers. My two favourite fake tan brands are Cocoa Brown and Xen-Tan, I know I can count on these two to give me a natural looking glow.
Hydrate SkinAfter a week of sun my skin is looking a little parched. To increase moisturise I'm reaching for my trustworthy Vichy Aqualia Thermal Serum - a must-have product for dry skin gals. A little bit goes a long way with this, the lightweight formula sinks in quickly and rehydrates the skin beautifully.
Can I go back on holiday please?
Further reading: Pre Holiday prepping...